Saturday, January 10, 2009

Why I Prefer to Shop with Humans of the Female Variety

me: I can't decide if I want to buy these pants or not. Are they too tight?

Quinsta: I don't know, are they?

me: Do you think they are too tight?

Quinsta: I think the wearer of the pants would be the person to know if they are too tight or not.

me: sigh.

Quinsta: If they are uncomfortable then they are too tight.


That is why I prefer to go shopping with a fellow female who at this point will tell me if my pants look too tight. Because, really, who cares if they feel too tight anyway. If they look good they should be worn no matter how uncomfortable they are. Is that so wrong?

My mother taught me this lesson at a very young age while french-braiding my hair. In the quest for a lump-free, flawless braid, she was pulling each section so tight it felt like my ears were stretched to the back of my head and when I whined about it she simply informed me without any compassion in her voice that, "beauty hurts."

I feel a kinship with my 10th Century Japanese sisters who had their feet bound. Okay, I guess I got a little carried away. It isn't the same thing. At all.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! Micah and I had that exact conversation almost word for word two days ago!! Very hard for my post-baby body to take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell that to Hannah ALL THE TIME. Beauty is pain, sister. But it's so, so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you lucky girl. My husband would never set foot in a store with me AND stand there while I try on pants. I hear you though, they just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom's morning mantra to us was also: "Beauty Hurts."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tell Kenzie this with her sparkley shoes. Not only did I spend $20 on them, but you're going to wear them! You're going to wear them and like them because I don't care how uncomfortable they are, they look CUTE. Then, she pitches a fit and the shoes go in the back of the closet. I'll try again in 10 years when boys are factored into the equation. Yep, that's healthy.

    ReplyDelete