Thursday, January 8, 2009

a moment and my salad

I am walking across the parking lot holding Forrest's tiny hand while he trots beside me clutching his red balloon. Nestled in her carseat which is hooked around my left arm, Lola is positively sucking the very life out of her binkie. The sun has made it's first appearance so far this January and is warming our faces and melting the snow.

Sweet and silver-haired she must have been seventy-something. Her wrinkled eyes surveyed our trio and the way she smiled at me spoke directly into my heart. It said, "enjoy every precious second." Just like that she was on her way into the store and I was busy loading, fastening, and buckling, on my way to the rest of my day.

On a side note: my lunch today was so yummy I thought I would share. I was trying to recreate a greek salad my aunt made a few months ago. My version included: lettuce (of course), tomatoes, cucumbers, kalamata olives, red onions, tons of feta cheese (the very best part) topped with a raspberry vinegarette. Dee-lish.

5 comments:

  1. I love that story, and that was a good salad. I think the best part was the dressing.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe. At least we realize that we need to savor these moments.

    Bob Bobson

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear we share the love of feta! Do you like Greek Souvlaki? Mmmm..also, which 1/2 marathon are you running? All I have to say is make sure you have extra room in the end of your shoes to prevent "the black toe." And as a side note, if you do pull out that guitar, we need to have a band reunion;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very simple, beautiful post. I loved it. Excellent writing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That salad sounds similar to a salad I frequently ate when I was growing up. I think I will make one just like it for lunch tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete