Thursday, July 8, 2010

My little Rock Starts

Rock Start is Lola-speak for Rock Star.



I swore I would NEVER buy my kids awful, plastic guitars. It was just a little rule I had like never buying them tennis shoes with characters on them. I don't know why, I just don't like them (sorry if your kids are wearing them).

We were at the DI the other day (I love the DI- go ahead and ask me if my shirt itches...'cause it did when you had it). Whatever, I love the DI. Anyway I let the kids each take $5 of their own money to spend (note: that was too big of a sum...next time it will be $2). Guess what toy Forr picked up and got all Tom Petty with? A huge, hideous, purple, Kawasaki toy guitar. He was into it. Man, was he into it. He was holding it all cool and just completely rockin' out. I was disappointed to say the least but turned it over to see if it was below the $5 mark. "Awe shucks buddy. This costs $10 dollars. That's more than you have." I acted sad when I told him but I sure wasn't.

Well, as luck would have it, a very sweet DI employee overheard this exchange and went to see what she could do about that $10 price tag on that guitar (no no no nooooooo nooooooooooooo I tried to mentally connect with her but she wasn't havin' it). She came back and informed Forrest that the Kawasaki "Mega Chords" guitar was really only $2. Her incredible kindness didn't end there. She also found a Hannah Montana guitar for Lola which was also $2. Lola could care less though. She has maybe picked it up twice since we brought them home a few weeks ago.

The kicker- the volume on Forr's guitar is broken. It's not broken on the soft end either- it's turned up all the way, all the time. It does not make beautiful music. It's mind-numbing and headache-creating and pretty much drives me IN. SANE. But what do I do? I pretend I love it.

The silver lining: I get to listen to the songs he makes up while he plays it. I heard one about an ugly woman who only wore her underpants and she was mean because she didn't want any playdates.

4 comments:

  1. Character shoes were created by satan. NEVER put your kids in them. You are doing the right thing.

    I did have to laugh, however, at the DI guitar lady. Pretty dang funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me you have a videotape of him singing those songs, I would pay money to see/hear it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed readng this, it reminds me of my kids and their horns and drums.Ha, ha!! I like the way you write, I'll bet you have a lot of poems and short stories to share. I'd like you to join my blog which will soon be upgraded to a website. If you join I'll give you a blog page that will blow your mind. LOL, BDC
    P.S. You sure have a beautiful family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha. that's what you get for haten' on plastic guitars.

    ReplyDelete